Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > The Classical Music Sound Hole

Notices

The Classical Music Sound Hole Classical music discussion on any subject which falls outside the categories below

Current Purchases......

Old 27-02-10, 03:54 AM

Mirror Image will become famous soon enough

Last week/this week's purchases:

Glazunov: From the Middle Ages, Jarvi, Scottish National Orch.

Old 04-03-10, 08:06 PM

Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice

Lovely isn't it? It's Faust and Margaretha after Ary Scheffer (1795-1858) taken from Sotheby's Picture Library.

I should have recognized Ary Scheffer as we have this lovely one here in town:

But I take it this is a copy "after" Scheffer's original which is slightly different:

I somewhat like the copy better.

I must try to find it online... A search on Sotheby's yielded nothing.
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. - Albert Einstein
Old 06-03-10, 05:05 PM

Latest purchases:

Old 11-03-10, 12:44 AM

Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice

I went a little nuts over the last few weeks:

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. - Albert Einstein
Old 11-03-10, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

Crikey!
Old 11-03-10, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all
Default Re: Current Purchases......

St Luke's Guild (and Mirror Image) - every wall in your house must be lined with Cds! Are they alphabetical by composer? Is Zelenka in the loo?!
Old 12-03-10, 01:13 AM

Accck!!

That's not even the end of it. Another pile of discs arrived today!

Yep... I completely lost my mind this month.

Seriously, I don't think I buy quite in the numbers as MI as I am not interested in purchasing 5 or more copies of every work of music I might be interested in. I do have multiple copies of certain of my absolute favorite works, however, and I am interested in a broader array of music... from the middle ages to last week. And no... my collection is not in alphabetical order but rather its organized by nationality, chronology, and musical form. In other words Mozart is shelved with the German/Austrian composers, he follows Bach and Haydn, and the individual works are organized roughly according to scale: operas followed by choral works, followed by symphonic works followed by concertos, quintets, quartets, trios, sonatas for solo instrument... And actually... my CD library pales in comparison with my books... which literally amount to a small library.
Old 12-03-10, 05:46 AM

This week's purchases:

Old 12-03-10, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
St Luke's Guild (and Mirror Image) - every wall in your house must be lined with Cds! Are they alphabetical by composer? Is Zelenka in the loo?!
I wish they were in alphabetical order! Heck, any kind of order would be nice! No, my collection isn't in any kind of order. Thankfully, I seldom play my actual CDs. What I basically do is load each new CD I get up on iTunes and rip them to one of my iPods. After I load them to my iPod(s), I back all the files up on a 500 GB hard drive. I transfer everything using a 192 bit rate.

That said, I certainly don't have all of my classical collection on my iPods, but I have been trying to rip all my new purchases that I've been receiving. Needless to say, it's been a very long process, but this is an easier way for me to hear my purchases rather than getting out the CD everytime I want to listen to the recording, whichever CD it may be.
Old 13-03-10, 01:10 PM

micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of

I bought this one after I heard them 'life' at the concert.

Name:  triduumpaschale.JPG.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  42.3 KB