Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > The Classical Music Sound Hole

Notices

The Classical Music Sound Hole Classical music discussion on any subject which falls outside the categories below

Current Purchases......

Old 10-02-10, 12:10 AM

Conor71 is on a distinguished road

Just arrived yesterday :

Old 11-02-10, 02:59 AM

Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice

I seriously must listen more to Sibelius. Of course I'd love almost anything performed by Beecham.

Broadening my collection of Hindemith who I have woefully ignored.

Another composer I've ignored for far too long... even during my spree of purchases of American composers last summer.

From what I've heard already a marvelous collection of Impressionistic piano work... not unlike Koechlin.

The most bizarre packaging of two of the best performing groups for medieval chant. Still I love the disc.
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. - Albert Einstein
Old 11-02-10, 05:05 AM

Mirror Image will become famous soon enough

A few more on the way....

Old 13-02-10, 03:50 AM

Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice

A new batch arrived today:

A marvelous disc of cello works by Ernest John Moeran conducted by Adrian Boult with Peers Coetmore, Moeran's wife, on cello. It seems the marriage was a disaster, but produced these three marvelous pieces. I'll most certainly be looking into further discs by Moeran in the future.

A William Walton collection with Andre Previn, Jascha Heifetz, Gregor Piatigorsky, and Vernon Handley (among others):

A contemporary French-Lebanese composer:

Another disc in my growing collection of American composers... and my third disc by David Diamond.

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. - Albert Einstein
Old 13-02-10, 06:21 PM

Ooh, Goody! This one just arrived!

Old 14-02-10, 01:02 AM

Conor71 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlukesguild View Post
Ooh, Goody! This one just arrived!

Nice!, I have been listening to the Dvorak symphonies the last couple of days from my new set (Kertesz/LSO) and really enjoying them - look forward to your opinion on this set .
Old 14-02-10, 11:46 AM
Please, call me Josh :)

marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all

Quote:
Another disc in my growing collection of American composers... and my third disc by David Diamond.

I was listening to the Sym 3/Kaddish/Psalm disc from the Seattle Symphony yesterday while doing some painting. I really liked Symphony No 2, 3 didn't seem to resonate in the same way. I have the disc you just posted, but haven't listened to it yet.
Old 15-02-10, 05:59 AM

Mirror Image will become famous soon enough

Quote:

David Diamond is a fantastic composer. I really like all of the symphonies I've heard. My favorite being his 4th, but they're all really good in my opinion. I own that entire Naxos series. I only wished Gerard Schwarz had completed the series, which was originally released on Delos Records.

I see that you bought some Enescu. I own that entire Arte Nova series of Enescu's orchestral works and it's very good. To my knowledge, there hasn't been many attempts at his music. Recordings of his music are definitely hard to come by. He's a great composer.
Old 16-02-10, 03:04 AM

Yes... I just listened to Enescu's Vox Maris today and it is indeed a marvelous piece.
Old 16-02-10, 12:50 PM

ImmortalBeloved is on a distinguished road

Name:  beethoven songs.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  Beethoven cantatas.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  16.4 KB