Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Studio > Classical Music Composition > Composers

Notices

Composers Click here to visit this social group

EXPLOSION!!!!: A flare goes off in the woods.... (hopefully helping other newcomers)

Old 10-08-09, 08:20 PM

Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by composerdoh View Post
Yeah, I can see that in many respects. I'm curious what you mean by that more specifically. But I can't help but feel that there's this enormous potential in the internet.... and somehow like I'm on the verge of figuring it out, almost.... maybe I'm just being delusional, but I really just have this feeling that there's this trick out there, not a "trick" in the sense of some get rich quick scheme or something, but more like a technique, or discipline, just barely out of sight.... like I can almost hear them saying: "and he revolutionized music marketing by...." and then fades away.... anyway. idk if that makes any sense.
Well, I guess there is potential on the net, and it does seem to work for some people.

But ultimately, it is my gut feeling that only through direct contact can meaningful and long term professional relationships be built.

Maybe one can sell their product on the net, and this is good, but obtain a commission? Much less likely I would guess. And it is those commissions that the composer tends to make their living - more so than CD or sheet music sales.

I have been propositioned by remote persons on the net, so, I can't write it off completely. But, it plays a minor role in my overall professional activity.

But...I have programmed about 5 pieces discovered on the internet surfing around, so, this part of it is crucial, as Phil was saying.

Quote:
, I remember someone telling me that I should never quit violin, because that's how I'd make my bread and butter, not through writing. I was just a kid, and I won this big contest, and I thought I wouldn't need violin... now it's sort of sinking in, I suppose. He now makes over 6 figures as a violinist playing in Broadway musical orchestras, and writes whatever the hell he wants. lol! I wish I'd listened to him.
In a way. I am where I am, ya know? I don't mean to complain. My path is my own, and I'm doing what I need to do. In another way I don't think I could have done what he did, what with my love/hate relationship with performing, (esp. on violin)...

lol- idk if that makes any sense at all, but thanks for listening anyway!
For sure - everyone has their own path. I was just throwing out suggestions.

But composing is much more a part of my career than performing these days. But you never know what the future holds - I like having options.

And, well, I just love playing music! I miss it terribly.

Quote:
, and as to it being lonely, and having 1 and 3 year olds climbing on ya- been there, done that. And your little faces made me literally lol.
Ha. It's a blast - real tough some times, but wouldn't change anything. Their smiles can melt any "bad mood".

But, my social life has taken a serious dive. Perhaps because I have recently moved to another city on the other side of the country! I miss having those friends whom I've known for years - tough to build in a new place when you are so busy.

So, I float around the net.

Quote:
- I've heard some of yours, if you wanna share more, please feel free....
did you go to myspace?

www.myspace.com/scottgoodcomposer

I do need to get some new stuff up there...