Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Medieval Music

Notices

Medieval Music Bingen, Perotin, Vitry, Machaut, Sahakduxt, Hildegard of Bingen, Alfonso X of Castile, Meister Rumelant, Matteo da Perugia, Zacara da Teramo...

Chant of all sorts

Old 28-12-11, 10:09 PM

Neumerologist will become famous soon enough Neumerologist will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roehre View Post
Hildegard's music cannot be gregorian plain chant or anything similar to that, as we know the composer's name, which by definition rules out gregorian, ambrosian let alone older ways of musically expressing faith.
But be aware that this does not mean that there aren't any similarities - at least at superficially listening. But for a start Hildegard's works are meant for female voices, Gregorian chant and the like by definition for male ones.

Plain chant, gregorian, ambrosian are by definition melodies only, without any countermelodies, all the voices sing the same melody.
It is thought that polyphony (i.e. more than one melody, or chords formed independently from the main melody) did develop from plainchant singing with a drone bass, as i.e. can be heard in the Templar's antiphon which Sonatina posted.
Interesting. So is plainchant merely plainchant? Or is there such thing as say 'gregorian' plainchant or 'ambrosian' plainchant?
Old 28-12-11, 10:18 PM

Roehre has a spectacular aura about Roehre has a spectacular aura about Roehre has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumerologist View Post
Interesting. So is plainchant merely plainchant? Or is there such thing as say 'gregorian' plainchant or 'ambrosian' plainchant?
There is gregorian plainchant as well as ambrosian plainchant, but I;m afraid at the moment I cannot explain you clairly the difference .
Old 28-12-11, 10:23 PM

Neumerologist will become famous soon enough Neumerologist will become famous soon enough

Leonin: Viderunt Omnes (c.1170)

Perotin: Viderunt Omnes (c.1198)

Old 28-12-11, 10:27 PM

Quote:
There is gregorian plainchant as well as ambrosian plainchant, but I;m afraid at the moment I cannot explain you clairly the difference .
I see. Since Hildegard's obviously has a composer and seems to have the characteristics of plainchant is it in some ways an anomaly or is it merely plainchant?
Old 28-12-11, 10:37 PM

Roehre has a spectacular aura about Roehre has a spectacular aura about Roehre has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I see. Since Hildegard's obviously has a composer and seems to have the characteristics of plainchant is it in some ways an anomaly or is it merely plainchant?
Yes. It has some characteristics of plain chant, but contrary to plain chant uses sometimes unusual modes ("old fashioned" keys, if you like, certainly also caused by the higher tessitura of the music), and many texts which were "out-of-bound" for gregorian and/or ambrosian plain chant.

The best part of Hildegard's output cannot be applied in "standard" Mass-formulae. Plain chant by definition is supposed to do this.
Old 28-12-11, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Yes. It has some characteristics of plain chant, but contrary to plain chant uses sometimes unusual modes ("old fashioned" keys, if you like, certainly also caused by the higher tessitura of the music), and many texts which were "out-of-bound" for gregorian and/or ambrosian plain chant.

The best part of Hildegard's output cannot be applied in "standard" Mass-formulae. Plain chant by definition is supposed to do this.
This is quite interesting. Thanks.
Old 30-12-11, 04:28 AM

haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of

Quote:
I have that one Neumerologist. You know, we need micrologus in this discussion!!!
Old 01-01-12, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnguy View Post
I have that one Neumerologist.
Are you an Emma Kirkby lover too? There is something really special about this album.

Does anybody know anything about the drones they are singing over? Are they a hurdy gurdy type of instrument?

Quote:
You know, we need micrologus in this discussion!!!
Hope micrologus decides to partake!
Old 03-01-12, 08:05 AM

Sonatina is a splendid one to behold Sonatina is a splendid one to behold Sonatina is a splendid one to behold Sonatina is a splendid one to behold Sonatina is a splendid one to behold Sonatina is a splendid one to behold Sonatina is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I have that one Neumerologist. You know, we need micrologus in this discussion!!!
A wonderful recording! After listening for a while it creates a very pure and ethereal world that becomes hypnotic.

Here is a great site with Hildergar von Bingen music and downloads
http://www.oxfordgirlschoir.co.uk/hildegard.html

Last edited by Sonatina; 03-01-12 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-05-12, 06:52 PM

micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of

Quote:

I think this is old Roman. Definitely sounds more exotic to my ear as well...the ornaments and emphasis in the modes used with the text definitely sound reminiscent of pre-western music possibly Judaic or Islamic vocal practices originating in and around the fertile crescent? Don't know enough about this to confirm though...
YES! This is old Roman!