Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Romantic Music > Schubert Listening Group

Notices

Schubert Listening Group Click here to visit this social group & discuss any aspect of Schubert's music

Books on Schubert

Old 30-03-09, 12:56 PM
Brightcecilian

virginia will become famous soon enough
Default Books on Schubert

I am reading -- slowly and enjoyably -- "Schubert's Poets and the Making of Lieder" by Susan Youens. Youens is the J.W. Van Gorkom Professor of Music at Notre Dame. She has written a number of Schubert-related books, many of which are in the accessible and reasonably priced Cambridge Music series. I have read her "Die schoene Muellerin" (also Cambridge), and can recommend it strongly. Here is Youens's bio:

http://music.nd.edu/faculty-and-staf...an/index.shtml

What books on Schubert do you folks like?
Old 31-03-09, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

That sounds like a great book.
Old 31-03-09, 09:58 PM

haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of

I have The Schubert Song Companion by John Reed which I feel must be considered the bible on Schubert lieder. It has the lyrics and and description (history, something about the song itself, etc.) of each song. The songs are listed in alphabetical order for easy lookup. The book is only about the lieder though and not much about the instrumental music.

I also have a New Grove book called simply Schubert by Maurice Brown which is a rather light read on Schubert. The text is only 100 pages and gives an overview of his life and has a chapter on each genre of his work discussing the most important works in each.
Old 28-05-09, 12:05 AM
Brightcecilian

Default Reed's Book on Schubert Lieder

Thanks for prod on the Reed book, SchubertGuy, which I bought the other day but have not opened yet. I don't think I would ever read it all the way through, but I am certainly going to dip into it when I'm listening to the songs.

As you say, the Reed book covers every single one of the songs. Has anybody here actually heard all of them? I'm nowhere near that.
Old 26-12-10, 11:22 PM
Brightcecilian

Hi folks. Been away for a while but now I'm back. About two years ago I was singing the praises of Susan Youens's book on Die schoene Muellerin. For quite a while, I think, her book, "Retracing a Winter's Journey: Schubert's Winterreise," was either out of print or hard to find. It's now back, and I bought it the other day. It looks great and I'm looking forward to reading it closely. Here's a link to the book on Amazon:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=susan+youens&x=0&y=0[/ame]

Virginia
Old 11-04-11, 02:11 AM
Brightcecilian

Default "Retracing a Winter's Journey:" A Must-Read

Susan Youens's "Retracing a Winter's Journey: Schubert's Winterreise" was everything I'd hoped for. This is a wonderful companion to her book on Die schoene Muellerin (and "Schubert's Poets and the Making of Lieder" as well). Youens gives equal weight to the poetry -- she thinks Mueller is way underrated -- and the music. I like how she provides the first page of the scores of all the songs. Makes you start singing as you read. Combine this book with the liner notes provided in Goerne's Winterreise on Hyperion and you'll have a thorough knowledge about one of the high points not just of music but of Western culture.
Old 11-04-11, 04:04 AM

haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of

Hi Virginia,
I'm getting ready to go to bed but I'll get back to Schubert in the morning. I'm beginning to think I need to keep a listening journal so that I can remember what I thought of a CD two years down the road.